Gemini is the not widely known bridge between Mercury, and the Apollo Program. Gemini would serve as the test-bed for Apollo; to prepare NASA for trips to the moon. After the successes with the Gemini program, Apollo would have rocky beginnings with the loss of the Apollo 1 crew. America ultimately won the "Space Race" by applying the lessons learned from the Apollo 1 tragedy. After winning the race with Apollo 11, passion and public sentiment for space flight in general set in, and the moon missions ended after Apollo 17.
- 5-5 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the social, economic and political events that influenced the United States during the Cold War era.
- 5-5.0 The postWorld War II period was dominated by a power conflict that pitted former allies against each other over economic and political differences. This Cold War affected all aspects of American life at home and abroad. To understand the impact o...
- 5.4 Demonstrate an understanding of the conflicts, innovations, and social changes in the United States, including South Carolina, from 19501980.
- 7-5 The student will demonstrate an understanding of international developments during the Cold War era.
- 7-5.0 Events during the Cold War affected the world politically, socially, and economically. To understand the significance of the Cold War, the student will utilize the knowledge and skills set forth in the following indicators:
- USHC.5 Demonstrate the impact of Americas global leadership on technological advancements, the transition to a post-industrial society, and ongoing debates over identity in the period 1945present.