Gemini is the not widely known bridge between Mercury, and the Apollo Program. Gemini would serve as the test-bed for Apollo; to prepare NASA for trips to the moon. After the successes with the Gemini program, Apollo would have rocky beginnings with the loss of the Apollo 1 crew. America ultimately won the "Space Race" by applying the lessons learned from the Apollo 1 tragedy. After winning the race with Apollo 11, passion and public sentiment for space flight in general set in, and the moon missions ended after Apollo 17.
- 5-5 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the social, economic and political events that influenced the United States during the Cold War era.
- The post–World War II period was dominated by a power conflict that pitted former allies against each other over economic and political differences. This Cold War affected all aspects of American life at home and abroad. To understand the impact...
- This indicator was developed to promote inquiry into how the lifestyles of those living in capitalist countries differed from those living in communist countries. This indicator was also designed to promote inquiry into how the rights of citizens differed in capitalist and communist countries.
- 7-5 The student will demonstrate an understanding of international developments during the Cold War era.
- Events during the Cold War affected the world politically, socially, and economically. To understand the significance of the Cold War, the student will utilize the knowledge and skills set forth in the following indicators:
- This indicator was developed to encourage inquiry into how different party platforms evolved following World War II. This indicator promotes inquiry into how the major parties came to represent different approaches to fiscal and political governance as well as social and judicial policies.