Part 1 briefly outlines the Cold War, and how the "Space Race" got started, with the Soviets' launching of Sputnik, in October, 1957. Next came the U.S. competing with the Soviets to launch a man into space. The U.S. considered several methods for putting a man into space, but ultimately decided on Project Mercury, and set out to find seven astronauts to carry America's torch into space.
- 5-5 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the social, economic and political events that influenced the United States during the Cold War era.
- 5-5.0 The postWorld War II period was dominated by a power conflict that pitted former allies against each other over economic and political differences. This Cold War affected all aspects of American life at home and abroad. To understand the impact o...
- 5.4 Demonstrate an understanding of the conflicts, innovations, and social changes in the United States, including South Carolina, from 19501980.
- 7-5 The student will demonstrate an understanding of international developments during the Cold War era.
- 7-5.0 Events during the Cold War affected the world politically, socially, and economically. To understand the significance of the Cold War, the student will utilize the knowledge and skills set forth in the following indicators:
- USHC.5 Demonstrate the impact of Americas global leadership on technological advancements, the transition to a post-industrial society, and ongoing debates over identity in the period 1945present.