In this segment, a student asks why Francis Marion is called the Swamp Fox, and the answer is given that he was one of the first to use what we now know as guerilla tactics. He would hide in the swamp and then attack troops unexpectedly.
Another question comes in about what life was like for a soldier during the Revolutionary War. The answer is given that it was a very difficult time, for example, trudging through snow without shoes.
A visit is made to the History Place at the State Museum.
The Civil War is discussed and a reenactment from Palmetto Special: The Hunley is provided. The model of the Hunley at the State Museum is discussed, and comparisons are made between the Hunley itself, the model and the painting. Differences between the model, the painting and the Hunley itself are discussed.
- 3-4 The student will demonstrate an understanding of life in the antebellum period, the causes and effects of the Civil War, and the impact of Reconstruction in South Carolina.
- 3-4.0 South Carolina played a key role in events that occurred before, during, and after the Civil War; and those events, in turn, greatly affected the state. To understand South Carolinas experiences during this tumultuous time, the student will utili...
- 4.2 Demonstrate an understanding of the identity of a new nation, including the state of South Carolina between 17301800.
- 4.4 Demonstrate an understanding of economic, political, and social divisions during the United States Civil War, including the role of South Carolina between 18501870.
- 8-4 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the multiple events that led to the Civil War.
- 8-4.0 The outbreak of the Civil War was the culminating event in a decades-long series of regional issues that threatened American unity and South Carolinas identity as one of the United States. To understand how South Carolina came to be at the center...
- 8.2 Demonstrate an understanding of how South Carolinians and Americans created a revolutionary form of government during the period of 1757 1815.
- 8.3 Demonstrate an understanding of conflict and compromise in South Carolina, the Southern region, and the United States as a result of sectionalism between the period 18161865.