Rice is a staple food of Sierra Leone. Rice is not only a favorite dish of Sierra Leoneans and the Gullah-Geechee, but it is also a part of their history. A dike system for cultivating rice worked well in Africa, and made its way to the southeastern Lowcountry, which enabled colonists to prosper in wealth.
Newman, B. (2020, October 1). Gullah Roots [Video]. SCETV.
Chicago Manual Citation:
Newman, Betsy, dir. "Rice as A Cash Crop." Gullah Roots.
South Carolina ETV. Video File. October, 2020.
Newman, Betsy. "Gullah Roots." South Carolina ETV, 1 October 2020,
- 6.3 Demonstrate an understanding of the development of the Atlantic World from the invention of the printing press to the Industrial Revolution (i.e., 14501760).
- 7.1 Analyze the cultural, economic, environmental, physical, political, and population geographies of contemporary Africa.
- 7.1.2.ER Identify climate and vegetation regions of Africa and the spatial distributions and patterns of natural resources, including the impact of their location on human activities.
- 7.1.3.HS Explain Africas current human population distributions and patterns, and use geographic models to compare the conditions driving migration and demographic change.
- HG.1 Demonstrate an understanding of the characteristics, distribution, and migration of human populations on Earths surface.