General Andrew Jackson was born in Lancaster County, South Carolina in 1767. He fought in the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. Jackson became a lawyer and moved to Nashville, Tennessee. He was the first Democrat elected U.S. President, serving from 1829-1837. During his tenure, the country underwent great economic expansion.
- 4-5 The student will demonstrate an understanding of westward expansion of the United States and its impact on the institution of slavery.
- 4-5.0 The new century saw the United States transformed by exponential growth through land acquisitions in the West. This expansion resulted in harm to Native Americans and continued the debate on the peculiar institution of slavery. To understand the...
- 4.3 Demonstrate an understanding of the expansion and growth of South Carolina and the United States between 18001850.
- 8-3.0 The student will demonstrate an understanding of South Carolinas role in the development of the new national government.
- 8-3.0 Independence from Great Britain made the creation of a new national government and individual state governments imperative. To understand how and why these governments were created, the student will utilize the knowledge and skills set forth in t...
- 8-4 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the multiple events that led to the Civil War.
- 8-4.0 The outbreak of the Civil War was the culminating event in a decades-long series of regional issues that threatened American unity and South Carolinas identity as one of the United States. To understand how South Carolina came to be at the center...
- 8.3 Demonstrate an understanding of conflict and compromise in South Carolina, the Southern region, and the United States as a result of sectionalism between the period 18161865.