The Rock Hill Buggy Company | History Of SC Slide Collection
"A Birds-eye View of the Rock Hill Buggy Company." The brochure for which this engraving was drawn boasted around 1900: "This company was started here in 1886 with a little hand power plant and about $10 capital - and that was borrowed. Now it is capitalized at $250,000, all paid in, and is paying a handsome dividend…The buildings and yards cover five acres of grounds, the plant consisting of blacksmith shop, woodworking shop, paint shops, trimming shops, etc., embracing over 100,000 square feet. The plant…is operated by a 75-horsepower electric motor and a 75-horsepower steam engine,…and there are employed about 125 men. Everything for the buggy is manufactured on the premises, the output last year being 7,000 vehicles. It is the largest buggy factory in the South." The Rock Hill Buggy Company later became the firm that manufactured the Anderson Automobile.
Courtesy of the Winthrop University Archives.