For a great many ordinary citizens, particularly those old enough to remember the wholehearted civilian support for the Second World War, college protests against the Vietnam War seemed unpatriotic. South Carolina, where many families lived on or near the bases at which their husbands, sons, or brothers had trained, had strong reasons for supporting the war effort. At a rally held in Florence in 1971 to protest the arrest of Lieutenant Calley for his role in the My Lai Massacre, a sign proclaims: "Help Free the POWs in North Vietnam."
Courtesy of the Darlington County Historical Commission.
- This indicator was developed to promote inquiry into how the lifestyles of those living in capitalist countries differed from those living in communist countries. This indicator was also designed to promote inquiry into how the rights of citizens differed in capitalist and communist countries.
- This indicator was developed to encourage inquiry into how the United States’ and Soviet Union’s governments adopted different ideologies leading to distrust and tension. This indicator was also developed to encourage inquiry into the even...
- 5.4.E Analyze multiple perspectives on the economic, political, and social effects of the Cold War, Space Race, and Civil Rights Movement using primary and secondary sources.
- This indicator was designed to promote inquiry into military and economic policies during World War II, to include the significance of military bases in South Carolina. This indicator was also developed to foster inquiry into postwar economic developments and demographic changes, to include the immigration of Jewish refugees following the Holocaust.
- This indicator was developed to encourage inquiry into civic engagement, such as military service, public demonstrations, and political activism, to shape the identity of modern South Carolina. This indicator was also written to encourage inquiry into...
- 8.5.E Utilize a variety of primary and secondary sources to analyze multiple perspectives on the cultural changes in South Carolina and the U.S.