The Cooper River Bridge | History Of SC Slide Collection

An Aerial View Of The Cooper River Bridge, In Charleston
Image icon Download (53.93 KB)
Share to google classroom

Description/Standards Tabs

Description

Aerial view of the Cooper River Bridge, named after Mayor John P. Grace, who was instrumental in having it built in 1929. Originally a toll bridge operated by the private Cooper River Bridge Company, the bridge was never a financial success and Charleston County bought the bridge in 1941. Shortly thereafter the state bought the bridge from the county and in 1946 the tolls were removed.

Courtesy of the South Caroliniana Library.

More in this Series