Berkeley County - Dixie Training School

The first public school for blacks in Moncks Corner was founded in 1880. Classes were held in local churches until the first school was built in 1900. The three-room school built here 1918-1920 at a cost of $6,700 was one of almost 500 in S.C. funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation 1917-1932.

Initially, the school housed grades 1-11, then it became Berkeley Training High School in the 1930s. It moved into a new school on U.S. Hwy. 17 in 1955 and closed in 1970 when county schools desegregated.

 

Grades:

6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Subject:

Collection:

Series: