Students will understand the importance of the creation of Black History Month and the contributions of African Americans in the United States and the world.
How did the major contributions of African Americans influence the United States and the world as we know it today?
- USHC-3 The student will demonstrate an understanding of how regional and ideological differences led to the Civil War and an understanding of the impact of the Civil War and Reconstruction on democracy in America.
- Democracy is based on the balance between majority rule and the protection of minority rights. To understand the impact of conflicting interests on the rights of minority groups, the student will utilize the knowledge and skills set forth in the follo...
- USHC-6 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the conflict between traditionalism and progressivism in the 1920s and the economic collapse and the political response to the economic crisis in the 1930s.
- The role of government in a democracy is to protect the rights and well-being of the people. Government’s role in regulating the economy and promoting economic growth, however, is controversial. To understand the consequences of economic cycles ...
- USHC-8 The student will demonstrate an understanding of social, economic and political issues in contemporary America.
- In the recent past, political views in the United States have embraced both conservative and liberal perspectives. To make informed political decisions about contemporary issues, the student will utilize the knowledge and skills set forth in the follo...
- WG-4 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the characteristics of culture, the patterns of culture, and cultural change.