World War II occurred during the 1940s when segregation was still the norm in America. The African Americans who fought were in a segregated army even overseas in England. One of the reasons the United States was fighting was because of Hitler's views on the Aryan race and white supremacy. Ironically, most white Americans shared that belief.
- 5.3 Demonstrate an understanding of the economic, political, and social effects of World War II, the Holocaust, and their aftermath (i.e., 19301950) on the United States and South Carolina.
- 5.3.P Summarize the U.S. governments transition away from neutrality policies following World War I that led to its eventual involvement in World War II.
- 5.3.CE Analyze the cause and effect of government-sponsored policies within the United States and Europe related to the status of different groups, to include the Holocaust.
- 8.5 Demonstrate an understanding of the impact of world events on South Carolina and the United States from 1929 to present.
- USHC.4 Demonstrate an understanding of how the American identity both at home and abroad was affected by imperialism, world conflict, and economic boom and bust in the period 1893 to 1945.