The Congaree land was leased to a well-known nature writer, Harry Hampton, and his brothers for a hunt club. But Harry, who served as associate editor of The State Newspaper for many years, was more poet and preservationist than hunter. He was a founder and first president of the S.C. Wildlife Federation. In 1954, Hampton raised the idea of permanently protecting the Congaree forest. In 1959, Hampton brought officials from the National Park Service and Richard Pough of the Nature Conservancy to the Congaree, In 1963, the National Park Service issued a report recommending the establishment of Congaree Swamp National Monument. However, no action was taken to protect the land.