Veterans recall the brutality of war with the Japanese, their allegiance to their emperor, the tropical heat, the jungle, the danger of the rocky reefs, and the threat of malaria, for which they took Atabrine. The memories come flooding back, as our veterans speak of these events, as though they occurred just yesterday.
*This segment contains material that may be objectionable to some audiences. Teachers are encouraged to view before showing to students.
- Along with the rest of the world, the United States and South Carolina experienced economic instability during this period. As a result, political instability and worldwide conflict consumed the world in the 1940s. Following World War II, the United States emerged as a world leader through political policies and economic growth.
- This indicator was developed to promote inquiry into the ideologies and policies that led to WWII, with a particular focus on the rise of dictators throughout Europe and Asia.
- This indicator was developed to promote inquiry into how the U.S. government viewed its position in world affairs. Further, inquiry is encouraged through a focus on governmental policies such as Lend Lease, the Neutrality Acts of the 1930s, and the pe...
- 5.3.CX Contextualize the technological and geographic influence on military strategies in the Pacific and European theaters of war of World War II.
- This indicator was constructed to facilitate inquiry into how economic conditions prompted an evolution of fiscal and monetary policy featuring significant turning points. This indicator also supports inquiry into the laissez-faire policies of the 1920s, the balance of free markets and government intervention of the 1930s, and the command economies during World War I and World War II.