The story of the three forts that have defended our coast, from the time of our settlers through the World War II, is told in the episode of Project Discovery.
At the beginning of the American Revolution, Charleston was one of the most important sites to defend. Palmetto logs were used to build a fort and they were readily available. In this segment, the story of Fort Moultrie is told.
- 3-3 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the American Revolution and South Carolina’s role in the development of the new American nation.
- People establish governments to provide stability and ensure the protection of their rights as citizens. To understand the causes and results of the American Revolution on South Carolina, the student will utilize the knowledge and skills set forth in ...
- This indicator was developed to encourage inquiry into the process which led to the formation of the U.S. government, including the convening of the Continental Congresses, the passage of the Articles of Confederation, and the adoption of the U.S. Constitution.
- 8-2 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the causes of the American Revolution and the beginnings of the new nation, with an emphasis on South Carolina’s role in the development of that nation.
- The events surrounding the American Revolution transformed British colonists into American citizens. To understand South Carolina’s pivotal role in this process, the student will utilize the knowledge and skills set forth in the following indica...
- Political and economic developments underscored how the colonists in British North America had become uniquely American, prompting the development of a new nation. Drawing on their experience under British rule, the founding generation created a government with shared powers between the state and federal institutions.