Historic Scott’s Branch High School

The original Scott’s Branch High School was formed to serve African American students in Summerton, South Carolina.

The original Scott’s Branch High School was formed to serve African American students in Summerton, South Carolina. Originally known as the Taw Caw School, the school's name changed due to the location of the first building being in front of a brook called Scott's Branch. When the first building burned down, parents raised funds to replace it with a two-story building and auditorium. This second building burned down in 1937 and Clarendon County rebuilt the present Scott’s Branch Middle School.

Type
Historic Scott’s Branch High School  | Let's Go!
Historic Scott’s Branch High School | Let's Go!

Video

The original Scott’s Branch High School was formed to serve African American students in Summerton, South Carolina. Originally known as the Taw Caw School, the school's name changed due to the...

Partners

Center for Civil Rights History and Research

Center for Civil Rights History and Research

The University of South Carolina Center for Civil Rights History & Research is an organization dedicated to telling and preserving South Carolina’s civil rights story. Visit the official website.