Appalachian Cove (S.C.)
Once used as a fortified blockhouse and an Indian trading post, this building and the nearby Richard's House, built in 1805, survived from a time when these foothills were part of the Indian frontier. The Richard's House is believed to be the first brick house in northwestern South Carolina. It served as a stagecoach stop in the early 1800's and is listed on the National Historic Register. The scenic Station Cove Falls is located down a 1 mile hiking trail. The variety of flora and fauna of this area are typical of the Appalachian Mountains.