The Charleston Museum, one of the oldest in the nation, had its beginnings as a collection of scientific specimens by the Charleston Library Society in 1778. By 1843, the collection had been transferred to the Medical College. The Museum next occupied the entire second floor of the main building of the College of Charleston. The building photographed in this postcard view around 1910 was the Thompson Auditorium, built in 1899, which became the home of the museum from 1907 until it moved to a new building on North Meeting Street in the 1970s.
Courtesy of the Howard G. Woody Postcard Collection.