The Holocaust lessons were created to help students learn about the Holocaust from the testimonies of Holocaust survivors. Lesson 4 gives first hand accounts of the fear experienced by Jews living in German controlled territories and countries.By 1939, the schools were closed for Jewish children, the synagogues were closed, and the business were closed. Jews were not allowed to have any businesses. Getting food was difficult and had to be smuggled in. The penalty was death.The Germans took able-bodied men and boys for forced labor. Everyone lived in fear. The goal of this lesson is to focus on the Holocaust experiences of South Carolinians to personalize the experience for students.
Other Instructional Materials or Notes:
7, 10, 11
None necessary, but computers with presentation software and access to the internet could aid in the lesson progression.
Handout 4A: Rudy in the Ghetto, Handout 4B: Pincus in the Ghetto, Handout 4C: Renee in the Ghetto, Handout 4D: Ben in the Ghetto
- 7-4 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the causes and effects of world conflicts in the first half of the twentieth century.
- The influence of both world wars and the worldwide Great Depression are still evident. To understand the effects these events had on the modern world, the student will utilize the knowledge and skills set forth in the following indicators:
- WG-4 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the characteristics of culture, the patterns of culture, and cultural change.
- There are many diverse expressions of culture in the world. To be open and responsive to new and diverse cultural perspectives, the student will utilize the knowledge and skills set forth in the following indicators:
- USHC-7 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the impact of World War II on the United States and the nation’s subsequent role in the world.
- In defense of democracy, a government may need to confront aggression and ask its citizens for sacrifice in wars and providing foreign aid that, in turn, affects the practice of democracy at home. To make informed political decisions about when and ho...