The Constitutional Convention was a gathering of state delegates to rewrite the Articles of Confederation and create the Constitution. Nine of the Thirteen colonies were needed to ratify the Constitution in order for the Constitution to be in effect. The nation began to divide into two parties, those for the Constitution and those opposed. South Carolina was the ninth state to ratify the Constitution but it is stated by Historian George Roberts - “Charleston and the surrounding parishes were represented at Philadelphia, South Carolina was not.” This is because South Carolina had tensions between the Upcountry and the Low country. The delegates chosen to represent South Carolina were mostly from the Lowcountry and perhaps did not have equal representation of the entire state.
Do people make political decisions based on where they live, their place in society, and how much money they earn?
Other Instructional Materials or Notes:
- Computers/tablets with internet access
- Groups will use a technology format that allows them to present their findings in a slide presentation. PowerPoint is a possible format but other resources are listed.
- For other resources, visit Technology Resources Vetted by SCETV Education
- I Inquiry-Based Literacy Standards
- I.1 Formulate relevant, self-generated questions based on interests and/or needs that can be investigated.
- I.2 Transact with texts to formulate questions, propose explanations, and consider alternative views and multiple perspectives.
- I.3 Construct knowledge, applying disciplinary concepts and tools, to build deeper understanding of the world through exploration, collaboration, and analysis.
- I.4 Synthesize integrated information to share learning and/or take action.
- C Communication
- C.MC Meaning and Context
- C.MC.1 Interact with others to explore ideas and concepts, communicate meaning, and develop logical interpretations through collaborative conversations; build upon the ideas of others to clearly express ones own views while respecting diverse perspecti...
- C.MC.2 Articulate ideas, claims, and perspectives in a logical sequence using information, findings, and credible evidence from sources.
- C.MC.3 Communicate information through strategic use of multiple modalities, visual displays, and multimedia to enrich understanding when presenting ideas and information.
- C.MC Meaning and Context
- 8-3.0 The student will demonstrate an understanding of South Carolinas role in the development of the new national government.
- 8-3.0 Independence from Great Britain made the creation of a new national government and individual state governments imperative. To understand how and why these governments were created, the student will utilize the knowledge and skills set forth in t...