As sectionalism arose from racial/societal tension many events occurred that led to South Carolina’s secession from the Union. Students will create an interactive timeline of the Road to Civil War.
How did South Carolina become the center of a conflict that threatened American unity?
Other Instructional Materials or Notes:
Tools used: Google Classroom, Learn 360, Variety of internet resources including DISCUS, Presentation software that allows collaboration. Suggestions are Google Presentation, LucidChart, Google Drawing or other appropriate software on iPad/device - Google Drive and Documents to collaborate and explore and learn together.
- Students will use technology on the modification and redefinition levels of the SAMR Ladder to view, research valuable resources, collaborate and communicate the events that led to the CIvil War.
- Students will use Google Documents and internet resources, provided and searched to complete outlines provided.
- Students will then use Google Drawing to create an infographic on one specific event using comment feature to offer/receive feedback throughout process.
- FInally Infographics will be linked to an Interactive timeline which will be displayed via the teacher’s website and School social media accounts.
- 8-4 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the multiple events that led to the Civil War.
- The outbreak of the Civil War was the culminating event in a decades-long series of regional issues that threatened American unity and South Carolina’s identity as one of the United States. To understand how South Carolina came to be at the cent...
- I Inquiry-Based Literacy Standards
- I.1 Formulate relevant, self-generated questions based on interests and/or needs that can be investigated.
- I.3 Construct knowledge, applying disciplinary concepts and tools, to build deeper understanding of the world through exploration, collaboration, and analysis.
- Grade 3: Read grade-appropriate irregularly spelled words.
- Grade 6: Analyze the impact of selected media and formats on meaning.
- C.MC Meaning and Context
- C.MC.3 Communicate information through strategic use of multiple modalities, visual displays, and multimedia to enrich understanding when presenting ideas and information.
- C.MC.1 Interact with others to explore ideas and concepts, communicate meaning, and develop logical interpretations through collaborative conversations; build upon the ideas of others to clearly express one’s own views while respecting diverse pe...
- C.MC.1.2 Participate in discussions; share evidence that supports the topic, text, or issue; connect the ideas of several speakers and respond with relevant ideas, evidence, and observations.
- C.MC.1.4 Engage in a range of collaborative discussions about grade appropriate topics; acknowledge new information expressed by others and when necessary modify personal ideas.
- C.MC.2 Articulate ideas, claims, and perspectives in a logical sequence using information, findings, and credible evidence from sources.
- C.LCS Language, Craft, and Structure
- C.MC Meaning and Context