The military buildup of World War II greatly expanded the facilities at the former Camp Jackson of the First World War. Renamed Fort Jackson in 1940, the Columbia facility became one of the main recruit training facilities of the United States Army. This parade of recruits was photographed by Sargeant Studios of Columbia.
Courtesy of the South Caroliniana Library.
- This indicator was designed to promote inquiry into military and economic policies during World War II, to include the significance of military bases in South Carolina. This indicator was also developed to foster inquiry into postwar economic developments and demographic changes, to include the immigration of Jewish refugees following the Holocaust.