The Students will be able to analyze political cartoons about a variety of citizens of South Carolina during the Reconstruction Period while noting the social class, race, gender, and age differences within the political cartoons in order to gain the skill to create their own political cartoon.
How did the Civil War impact South Carolinians of various social classes including those groups defined by race, gender, and age as noted in political cartoons created during the Civil War era?
Other Instructional Materials or Notes:
iPads/Computers/Tablets to access the political cartoons instead of printing off the political cartoons to analyze
iPad app Strip Design, Comic Book, or Comics Head to help students create a political cartoon
- Dry erase markers (1 per pair of students)
- White copy paper for the students to create their own political cartoons
- Fact/inference graphic organizer
- A copy of the SC Support Documents for 8-4.6
- 8-4 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the multiple events that led to the Civil War.
Lesson Created By: Mary Huffman