What We Did:
Everyone knows that middle schoolers have lots of emotions—most of which change multiple times within a single class period. During my ten years of teaching middle school, I have made an effort to discuss emotions and art in an open way by encouraging students to recognize emotions, feel emotions, and eventually learn how to express emotions through art.
Can I create a mask that evokes a mood or emotion?
Other Instructional Materials or Notes:
*A way to display a PowerPoint or Google Slides.
*A camera to take the Mask Portraits.
- Students can create a mask made of drawing materials and/or found materials.
- Students can create a mask that evokes a mood or emotion.
- Students can create a character for their mask that they then can pose as for a Mask Portrait.
Materials: Based on a class of 25 students
- Mask Template (https://roylco.com/shop/r52076-folding-fun-masks/)
- Drawing Materials
- Random/Found Objects
- Hole Punch
- VA.CR Creating - I can make artwork using a variety of materials, techniques, and processes.
Lesson Created By: CarlonSteller
Lesson Partners: ABC (Arts in Basic Curriculum)