This integrated unit will encompass three parts. Students will begin by selecting a historical key figure they have studied during their time in 4th grade. After selecting their key figure, students will research interesting and important facts and information relating to their figure. Then, students will write a monologue using the three rules of monologues: has to be written in the first person, has to have a problem, and has to have an emotion. Finally, students will develop characterization with physical and vocal elements, memorize their monologues, and perform their monologues for a live audience.
This specific lesson will focus on the second part of this unit: writing the monologues.
Why is a specific key figure important and influential?
What three elements does an interesting monologue need?
How can components of Drama make historical figures and facts relevant and interesting in today's time?
- 4-4 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the beginnings of America as a nation and the establishment of the new government.
- 4-4.0 After independence was declared, Americans were faced with creating a new form of government that would embody the ideals for which they had fought. To understand the development of these United States into a new nation, the student will utilize...
- 4-5 The student will demonstrate an understanding of westward expansion of the United States and its impact on the institution of slavery.
- 4-5.0 The new century saw the United States transformed by exponential growth through land acquisitions in the West. This expansion resulted in harm to Native Americans and continued the debate on the peculiar institution of slavery. To understand the...
- 4-6 The student will demonstrate an understanding of the causes, the course, and the effects of the American Civil War.
- 4-6.0 Regional economic interests led to social and political differences that seemed insurmountable by 1860. To understand why the United States was forced to settle sectional differences through civil war, the student will utilize the knowledge and s...
- T.CR Creating - I can conceive and develop new artistic ideas and work.
- T.C Connecting - I can relate artistic ideas and work to personal meaning and external context.
- RI Reading Informational Text