In Smack Dab in the Middle of Maybe, Cricket runs away to the tree house she built with her father. Students can use the distance of the tree house from the ground to learn how to convert standard measurements.
Why do I need to know how to convert measurements?
Other Instructional Materials or Notes:
Smack Dab in the Middle of Maybe
- 1 Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- 2 Reason both contextually and abstractly.
- 3 Use critical thinking skills to justify mathematical reasoning and critique the reasoning of others.
- 4.MDA Measurement and Data Analysis
- 4.MDA.1 Convert measurements within a single system of measurement, customary (i.e., in., ft., yd., oz., lb., sec., min., hr.) or metric (i.e., cm, m, km, g, kg, mL, L) from a larger to a smaller unit.
- 4.MDA.2 Solve real-world problems involving distance/length, intervals of time within 12 hours, liquid volume, mass, and money using the four operations.
- 5 Use a variety of mathematical tools effectively and strategically.
- 6 Communicate mathematically and approach mathematical situations with precision.
Lesson Created By: SamanthaBell, Jo Watson Hackl