A group of Pennsylvanians came to this location around 1757 and started settling the land around a stagecoach tavern. This community of small farmers flourished, and the village became the county seat in 1785. This was the first town in the upcountry to have gaslights, and after a railroad spur in 1852, the prosperity of cotton was everywhere. The town featured several successful educational institutions, which drew students from all over S.C. and beyond: the Kings Mountain Military Academy, and a local female college.
Today, York features the second largest National Register Historic District, and Joanna Angle briefly shows a few of the historic structures still standing.