Yonges Island And St. Paul's Parish - Introduction And Summit Plantation | Palmetto Places - Episode 1


By 1720, modern day Charleston was divided into parishes, and the 50 mile area between the Wadmalaw and Edisto rivers became known as St. Paul’s Parish. As early as 1708, the majority of the population were slaves who worked the area fields, and was the site of the first major slave rebellion in the colony in 1739. Slaves were crucial to the agriculture based economy of St. Paul’s Parish, since the area’s prosperity was through the cultivation of rice and cotton.

The oldest remaining house in St. Paul’s Parish is the Summit Plantation House, on the Toogoodoo River. Joanna Angle visits Summit’s owner, Jack Boineau, where he talks about the history of the home, its construction process, and restoration efforts. 

More in this Series

ETV Classics Classroom / Palmetto Places / Yonges Island and St. Paul's Parish | Palmetto Places