Joanna Angle chronicles the early history of Orangeburg County, South Carolina. Orangeburg’s story begins in 1730, where the provincial government of South Carolina encouraged settlement in the wilderness by establishing eleven townships. By 1735, the first of three groups of Germans and Swiss arrived on the North branch of the Edisto River. Their township was named for a son in law of England’s King George II, William IV, prince of Orange.
The downtown area of Orangeburg is currently undergoing a revitalization effort, and Joanna Angle highlights some significant locations: a mural by S.C. artist Ralph Waldrop, a statue commemorating the old firehouse, and the old Orangeburg County Jail, which survived General Sherman’s fires during the Civil War.