In 1860, the United States was preparing for a Civil War. This war was between the northern and southern states over the issue of slavery and the struggle for political power. How the Civil War progressed and some of the battles fought are covered in this lesson.
- 4.3 Demonstrate an understanding of the expansion and growth of South Carolina and the United States between 18001850.
- 4.4 Demonstrate an understanding of economic, political, and social divisions during the United States Civil War, including the role of South Carolina between 18501870.
- 8.3 Demonstrate an understanding of conflict and compromise in South Carolina, the Southern region, and the United States as a result of sectionalism between the period 18161865.
- 8.3.CE Examine consequences of the major Civil War military strategies.
- 8.3.CO Compare the debates between South Carolina and the federal government regarding slavery, federalism, and the Constitution.
- 8.3.E Utilize a variety of primary and secondary sources to analyze multiple perspectives on the effects of the Civil War within South Carolina and the United States.