Noted South Carolina historian Dr. Walter Edgar discusses the key issues in SC History.
South Carolina Enters the 20th Century, Part I is discussed in three lessons:
- Predominately agricultural through 1880’s
- Development of major manufacturing – Textile Mills 1890’s
- Atmosphere of the 20th Century - automobiles, politics, Jim Crow, segregation
- 8.4 Demonstrate an understanding of South Carolinas role in and response to the dynamic economic, political, and social developments in the United States and around the world during the period 18621929.
- 8.4.CC Analyze continuities and change in the African American experience in the period of Reconstruction and Jim Crow eras within South Carolina.
- 8.4.CX Evaluate South Carolinians struggle to create an understanding of their post-Civil War position within the state, the country, and the world.
- 8.4.P Summarize the economic changes that emerged in South Carolina and the U.S.