Denmark, located less than an hour’s drive South of Columbia, was once a bustling railroad center, created by the building of the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company. The town was once called “Graham’s Turnout,” but the name was changed to Denmark, in honor of the president of the Southbound Construction Company: Colonel Isidore Denmark. Poole’s 5 and 10 Cent Store, is a time-capsule, where today, it still looks the way it did back in the 1950’s.
- This indicator was designed to promote inquiry into military and economic policies during World War II, to include the significance of military bases in South Carolina. This indicator was also developed to foster inquiry into postwar economic developments and demographic changes, to include the immigration of Jewish refugees following the Holocaust.