In the early 1900s, travelers coming off Glassy Mountain headed for Greer crossed Campbell's Covered Bridge. A piece of pure Americana, it was built for Greenville County by Charles Willis in 1909. Thirty-five feet long and twelve feet wide, this wooden span across Beaverdam Creek was named for Lafayette Campbell, who owned a nearby gristmill. Restored in 1990, this is the last old covered bridge remaining in South Carolina.
A short drive from Campbell's Covered Bridge is the oldest standing bridge in South Carolina. Erected in 1820, Poinsett Bridge is part of the original state road connecting Charleston, Columbia, and Asheville, North Carolina. Its impressive construction of wedge-shaped rocks, placed without concrete, has rare Gothic arches. Designed by Joel Poinsett, director of the South Carolina Board of Public Works, the bridge was named in his honor.
Poinsett was also secretary of war and minister to Mexico. According to local tradition, the bridge was built with the help of Native Americans living in the area.