Cheraw, Part 2 - Old Saint David's Church | Palmetto Places
Old Saint David’s church is South Carolina’s oldest wooden church; surviving use by four armies during two wars. It was built in 1770, under authority of King George III. During the American Revolution, it was used as quarters by the South Carolina Militia, and later in 1780, as a quarters and hospital by the British 71st Highlander regiment. In the Civil War, both Confederate and Union troops used the church as a field hospital. Today, the church remains as a prominent symbol of Cheraw’s earlier days.