Meet the ghosts of Palmer Field. During World War II, a large cotton farm outside of town became named Marlboro Aviation School, a training facility for the 55th Army Air Corps. Later it was called Palmer Field where young cadets learned how to fly the PT-17 Stearman biplane. On the afternoon of December 7, 1941, the cadet graduation ceremony was interrupted to announce the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Palmer Field closed October 1944.
- This indicator was designed to promote inquiry into military and economic policies during World War II, to include the significance of military bases in South Carolina. This indicator was also developed to foster inquiry into postwar economic developments and demographic changes, to include the immigration of Jewish refugees following the Holocaust.