Hanover House, before it was restored and moved to Clemson University. Built around 1716, this house stood in Berkeley County, from which it was moved in 1940 so that it would not be flooded by Lake Moultrie when the Santee-Cooper Dam was constructed (see Santee Cooper Electric Power Project, and Hydro And Steam Generator Plants Of The Santee Cooper River Facility). Visitors to Clemson today see a white house; in the early 18th century, houses such as this one, constructed of cypress boards, would not have been painted. It shows the strong influence of European building design adopted by successful rice planters in the early part of the 18th century.
Courtesy of the South Caroliniana Library.