Richland County - Kress Building | Road Trip
This building, constructed around 1935, housed a Kress "five and dime" store with a lunch counter that served whites only. It was one of eight places in Columbia that saw student protests and sit-ins during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s.
S.H. Kress & Co. was founded by Samuel Kress in 1896. They built over 250 five-and-dime stores in 29 states between 1896 and 1955. The Columbia Kress was designed by Sibbert and built in 1935. It remained open until 1993. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1998, the building was renovated and adapted for reuse. It now houses the Rising High Natural Bread Co.