Georgetown County - Howard School
Land was purchased January 1, 1866 as a site for the Georgetown Colored Academy. The Academy stood on this land until 1908.
By 1908 the old building had been torn down and a new school built. At that point in time, the name of the Academy was changed to the Howard School. The elementary department moved into a new structure on Kaminski Street in 1938; the high school followed in 1949. After the 1984 graduation, the predominantly black Howard merged with the mostly white Winyah School to form Georgetown High School.