In the late 1920's end 1930's a rough landing strip was made on the farm of C.C. Anderson just outside of Walterboro. Starting in 1941, as part of the World War II effort, the U.S. Government acquired the site of the strip and assembled a total of 3,815 acres for the Walterboro Army Airfield.
Construction began in April 1942, and just four months later, on August 4, 1942, the base was activated. The completed installation consisted of a large Airfield with extensive support facilities. Army Air Forces Fourth Service Command conducted combat Air Crew training. The Tuskegee Airmen were part of this effort.