The first public school for blacks in Moncks Corner was founded in 1880. Classes were held in local churches until the first school was built in 1900. The three-room school built here 1918-1920 at a cost of $6,700 was one of almost 500 in S.C. funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation 1917-1932.
Initially, the school housed grades 1-11, then it became Berkeley Training High School in the 1930s. It moved into a new school on U.S. Hwy. 17 in 1955 and closed in 1970 when county schools desegregated.