Because of near total neglect by state and county governments, black schools seldom had adequate libraries in the early twentieth century. This small log building was constructed by community volunteers c. 1935.
The books for the library were provided by the Faith Cabin Library program, which was the work of Willie Lee Buffington, a white Saluda County mill worker.
Inspired by a black schoolteacher in Saluda County, Buffington began a mail solicitation for reading materials for African American schools in Saluda County in the early 1930s. The movement eventually resulted in the establishment of twenty-six Faith Cabin Libraries in South Carolina and fifty in Georgia. The Faith Cabin Library is included in the Pendleton Historic District.
It served as the library for the Anderson County Training School and is the only unaltered building remaining from that school.