PLEASE NOTE: Flash Player is required. This interactive can be best viewed on a desktop computer.
The Rosenwald school is located in the Zion Hill Church community. It burned in 1941 and was rebuilt in 1943 and closed ca. 1954. The school may have been named in honor of John E. Carroll, County Superintendent of schools of York Co.
Today the building is the property of Rock Hill School District #3. The district incorporated the school into its 5th grade curriculum. It is used as resource center to educate children about the Great Depression from an African American perspective and to illustrate African American rural life during that time. According to George Hampton, he interviewed a member of the New Zion Church who informed him that black people called the school "Layby" implying the seasonal use of the school.