PLEASE NOTE: Flash Player is required. This interactive can be best viewed on a desktop computer.
Trinity United Methodist Church was established in 1866. Trinity was the headquarters for the Orangeburg Civil Rights Movement during the 1960s, hosting many civil rights meetings and rallies attended by leaders such as Martin Luther King, Jr., Roy Wilkins, and Thurgood Marshall. Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church played a central role during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 1960s as the site of numerous organizational and strategic meetings. The first sanctuary was built in 1870. Construction on the present sanctuary began in 1928 and was completed in 1944.