3D Virtual Tour - Homestead House | Historic Brattonsville
Homestead House was built in 1823-1826 by Dr. John Simpson Bratton, son of William and Martha Bratton.
In the early 19th century, William Bratton’s son, Dr. John Bratton, inherited the estate. He was a medical doctor, as well as a planter, a slave owner, and a merchant, and he expanded the plantation from the original 200 acres to about 8,000 acres, owned about 139 slaves, and was one of the largest cotton planters in the upstate. His wealth came not only from grain crops like wheat, oats and corn, but also cotton, which provided the capital to continually expand the plantation. After his death in 1843, the estate was divided among the family members.